Monday, November 26, 2007

T-Minus Two Weeks

I have exactly 9 weekdays until finals week. I am less worried about the Final Exams and more worried about the projects due within the next nine class meetings. The tests always come easy to me because I can just study the material and remember it. The projects, on the other hand, require several days of work, and I, to no one's surprise, am a procrastinator. All this being said, I feel like there are two more weeks of school (not counting Finals Week) and then I'm free for a month.

Thanksgiving Break Re-Cap
Here's a rundown of what I did during my 5 day Thanksgiving break from college:

Wednesday- I slept in....mostly because I didn't go to bed until 3 or 4ish. I got up, milled around the house a bit, took some headache meds, and ate some lunch. Then, I helped Jason do a bit of yard work. Just trimmed some low-lying limbs, raked some leaves, and mowed the lawn one last time before winter. After pounding some PB&J sammies for dinner, we had a thoroughly unproductive evening while watching the tube.

Thursday- Although this was officially Thanksgiving Day, I did very little. Jason and Steven woke me up at 11 a.m. (after a night of Insomnia) and asked if I wanted to go with them to grab some food at Taco Bell. I agreed. 5 minutes later as we pass by Taco Bell because it was closed, we realize that the only place that would be open to get food would be Wal-Mart. We proceed to load up on tons of unhealthy alternatives to our normally healthy diet. After we get home and pound on some of our grub, we watch the Dallas Cowboys absolutely throttle the Jets. Lex and I go outside and slap the volleyball around for awhile. Another uneventful evening.

Friday- Since the Gillett's parents and sister are scheduled to arrive in Russelltucky this evening, we have put off cleaning the house until today. Alexis, Jason, and I go ape-shit on the hizzle. We give it the cleaning that it's been needing for about a month. Steven had to work, so he missed out on Cleaning Party 2007. Anyway, the house is spotless. We then proceed to watch the Razorbacks defeat #1 LSU in triple overtime. Shock and jubilation follows. This evening, we went to the Golden Suns basketball game, which they won in overtime. The parents and sister show up at about 9:30. Coronas and rum-and-cokes are consumed by 10. The Scott and Kim Gillett are amazing.

Saturday- This is the day that everyone chose to celebrate the fattest of all holidays. We get up around 9ish and start cooking. The other Gillett sister, Lindsey, shows up at 1ish with her husband, Andy, and 5 month old puppy, Daphne. The meal followed. Pumpkin pies, turkey, butternut squash, "corn crap" (family dish), stuffing (NOT dressing, which was new to me, but still delicious), mashed and smashed potatoes, gravy, and deviled eggs. All washed down with a Milwaukee's Best Ice....good call, Jason. I was full. We spend the rest of the evening laughing, telling/listening to stories about all of the following: "getting up routines" when the Gillett siblings were in high school, Mike getting hit on by the "generously portioned", black lady at the 40, Scott and KG's Vegas happenings, Kenny vs. Spenny, and more. A good time was had by all.

Yesterday- We all got up and talked about how Sunday is Jason's favorite day because he does nothing but sit on the couch and watch football. That's.....it. He periodically makes some food, but always gravitates back to the couch. After a lunch of leftovers, we said goodbye to Amy, the eldest Gillett sister. She left for Kansas City at about noon. Then, we played a few rounds of Catchphrase, a game of Trivial Pursuit, ate some more leftovers, walked the dog at Bona Dea, and eventually said goodbye to Lindsay, Andy, and Daphne. The rest of the night evolved with Scott getting a bit buzzed, two games of Scrabble, more football for Jason, and "Thunderball". Scott and KG ended up sleeping in Alexis' bed. This provoked a heated but short argument. Lex was going to let me have my bed, and she was going to sleep on the couch. Those of you who know me understand where the conflict arose. It didn't take much convincing for me to put her to bed (in a non-J. Holiday sense) in my bed. I crashed on the couch. I win.

All in all, I had a pretty good Thanksgiving. It may not have been "traditional" or with my own family, but I enjoyed it. Plus, it got my mind off of school and kept me from thinking myself into a funk.

3 comments:

melissa said...

i'm so glad you had a good holiday, mike. in addition to having great families, we as adults get to add to them as we please. sounds like you've got some good folks to add to yours. love you, bug. let's hang out soon.

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

hot dog smoothie? is the funniest, grossest, most fuckwaggled thing i have ever heard! besides fuckwaggled!!

hooray for cleaning, eating and sleeping!!!

you still have a major hug in que. :)

Anonymous said...

People should read this.